The tomb of the first Nizam Shahi ruler, Ahmad Shah (1490-1510 A.D.) is one of the finest buildings in Ahmednagar. The tomb is built of basalt stone, measures about 12.23 m2 and is roofed by a hemispherical dome. Its facade is treated with a row of large arched recesses enclosed within rectangular panels, while a row of smaller arched niches of two different designs, placed alternately, runs above it, above the bracketed cornice, is ranged the parapet of blind merlons, interspersed with small domed finials in the late Bahmani style. The tomb is inscribed inside with texts from the Quran in letters of gold. Except the one at the south, the other doors are closed. A step well is also provided to the southwest of the tomb. The tomb of Nizam Shah is provided with a high boundary wall with entrances on the south, east and north. The southern gateway is elaborate domed structure also containing graves. A platform is stone and masonry is located to the left of the gateway nearly ten feet high and eighteen feet square. It is partly canopied by a stone-slab supported by a number of elegantly-worked stone pillars. The tomb of Nizam Shah is constructed of black basalt with the exception that the dome is of bricks set in lime mortar and plastered white.